Our Town Historian, Virginia Parrott, has been selected as a Shining Star and will be receiving an award at the Shining Stars Luncheon.
The Town of Fort Ann is currently seeking Fort Ann residents interested in becoming a Planning Board Member. Planning Board members are required to attend a minimum of four hours of approved training sessions each year. Letters of interest should be addressed to the attention of Supervisor Moore, PO Box 314, Fort Ann, NY 12827.
Welcome to our website!
Fort Ann is a beautiful, quaint little community whose history is full of fascinating anecdotes. The town lies on what was known as the “Warpath of the Nation,” and was the scene of many war parties from early Indian raids through the Burgoyne and Carleton expeditions during the Revolution. Fort Ann was also the site of a very important Revolutionary War battle that saw the nations new “Stars and Stripes” flown for the first time in battle. The battle, which took place on July 8, 1777, was of great strategic importance and helped America win its independence.
Fort Ann, at the present time, is predominantly a farming town full of historic, well-preserved homes and old canal locks with much of their original stonework still intact.
Most of the residents not engaged in some type of agriculture related business seek employment outside the town, or at one of the prisons located in Comstock. Numerous small businesses are scattered throughout the town.
The western part of Fort Ann is a center of recreational activity. The many lakes, ponds and mountains in the area show nature at its most beautiful. Camp Little Notch, Camp Wakpominee on Sly Pond and Camp Chingachgook on Lake George are well known throughout the area for summer fun.
There are several civic and fraternal organizations in town, including the Fort Ann Rotary Club, Mount Hope-Phoenix Lodge Masons, Order of the Eastern Star, several scouting groups and many church organizations, which serve their community in a variety of ways.
Four churches currently serve Fort Ann residents: West Fort Ann Methodist Church, United Protestant Church, Cornerstone Bible Church and St. Ann’s Catholic Church.
The Fort Ann Central School was erected in 1938 when the district schools were consolidated. Additions to the school were made in 1962, 1970, 1983, and again in 2004, when the school completed an extensive renovation project. The enrollment for 2006-2007 was approximately 675 students. *
The village’s Old Stone House Library, built in 1825, is one of the town’s many landmarks. A gift from the Knapp family, landowners in the Shelving Rock area of Fort Ann, this stately building now serves as a public library and home of the Fort Ann Historical Society.
The Fort Ann area is served by the Fort Ann Rescue Squad, the Fort Ann Volunteer Fire Department, the West Fort Ann Volunteer Fire Department and the Pilot Knob Volunteer Fire Department. There is also a fire department in Comstock, which mainly serves the prisons. Together, these dedicated groups provide excellent protection to all area residents.
* 2015-2016 enrollment is approximately 500 students
To look up tax bills for all of Washington county, go to: